Monday, November 16, 2009

Voyager C'est Vivre (16 Nov 2009)

Bienvenue a Cote d'Ivoire!

Whew, what a week this has been for me. Having never spent a day in a French-speaking country, I've spent a significant amount of time over the course of my 9-day stint here in Abidjan trying to learn some useful phrases. So you have an idea what I'm talking about, here are some choice jems from my self-created course of study:
  • As-tu des bon-bons (do you have any candy)?
  • J'ai le fou rire (I have the giggles).
  • Je suis ananas (I am a pineapple).
  • Amusons-nous comme des fous (Let's have fun like idiots).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to squeeze any of them into ANY conversation I've had. Not with taxi drivers, street food vendors, beachgoers, etc. Perhaps I should have taken better care to learn how to say stuff like:

  • Extra pepper, please.
  • No, I would really only like half of that half of a chicken.
  • What on earth gives you the idea I'm American?

No comments:

Post a Comment